About

Cat lady, comedy lover, freelance copywriter, advertising student, entertainment enthusiast. I like to think I'm punk rock but I'm not.

Thursday 23 January 2014

Review - The Wolf of Wall Street

Sex. Drugs. Money. If I had to describe Martin Scorsese's new film in three words, they'd be the most obvious. But it is so much more than that. The film tells the story of Jordan Belfort, a stockbroker on Wall Street in the late '80s/early '90s. Belfort is ruthlessly played by Leonardo DiCaprio, a performance I feel would very much deserve the Oscar if he were to win.



The film follows Belfort as he goes from young, naive, first time broker, to discovering the not-so-glamorous world of penny stocks, and then setting up his own firm with the help of Donnie (Jonah Hill). The pair, along with Belfort's friends, set up Stratton Oakmont, in an attempt to target the richest 1% of America. As Stratton gains more money, the debauchery gets more extreme.

The cast cannot be faulted at all, every single member of the main cast gives a brilliant performance. DiCaprio is, of course, the stand out. The way he can go from charming to violent, sober to incredibly high, it builds a lot of dimensions, his character reminded me of Christian Bale's Patrick Bateman (American Psycho) only without the murders, but definitely on that same psychopathic scale. Margot Robbie also gave a brilliant performance as Naomi, Belfort's wife, and as this was her first major Hollywood role I can see a very, very, bright future for her.

The film does not attempt to glamorise Belfort's world, and while I don't know anything about the real Jordan Belfort, it seemed obviously overexaggerated for the purposes of entertainment (the fact he takes so many drugs and is never once seen to have a proper overdose, let alone even a nose bleed at any point, proves it's hardly realistic), but there's nothing wrong with that. It is massively entertaining. It is a long film, at three hours, but it doesn't feel so long, it all works and there weren't points I found myself wondering what time it was.

I would definitely recommend it.









0 Kommentarer:

Post a Comment