About

Cat lady, comedy lover, freelance copywriter, advertising student, entertainment enthusiast. I like to think I'm punk rock but I'm not.

Thursday 20 February 2014

12 Years A Slave

I decided not to do a review of 12 Years A Slave because I was a little late to the party and since it won the BAFTA for Best Film, you don't need me to tell you it's good. I just thought I'd write my own feelings about the film, and yes, there will be spoilers but it's been a book for over 100 years, so, y'know...



Going in I knew it was going to be tough, but you need that sometimes, a film that moves you and draws you in, and it does just that. Chiwetel Ejiofor was outstanding as the lead, and now I can say he did deserve the BAFTA for Best Actor. I think it must be so hard for every actor in the film, from those portraying the slave owners to those portraying the slaves. Michael Fassbender's Edwin Epps was absolutely evil, it's hard to believe that people like that existed. Some of the slave owners, particularly Benedict Cumberbatch as Ford, showed glimpses of humanity, but still, they were slave owners.

The hardest scenes to stomach came near the end, at one point I was nearly moved to tears, and I know other people have cried watching it. So far I've been praising Lupita Nyong'o for looking beautiful at awards shows, but I have to praise her very strongly for her role as Patsey, she acted the hell out of it. There is a sort of happy ending though, all thanks to Brad Pitt, but I use happy quite loosely. Solomon makes it home to his family, discovers he is now a grandfather, but all the other slaves are left behind still suffering, I just wanted him to take Patsey with him when he left!

Definitely go and see it if it's still on where you are, it's very powerful, and now I'll be more of a trustworthy source when it comes to the Oscars if it wins, and I hope it does well!

0 Kommentarer:

Post a Comment