About

Cat lady, comedy lover, freelance copywriter, advertising student, entertainment enthusiast. I like to think I'm punk rock but I'm not.

Wednesday 7 May 2014

Carl Hutchinson 'Here's Me Show' - 06/05/2014

Last night I went to see Carl Hutchinson at The Stand in Newcastle. I've seen him three times before, the first was supporting Chris Ramsey, then I saw his solo show at the Edinburgh Fringe, and then took my friend along to see him at the Friday Show at The Stand last November. As you can tell, I'm a bit of a fan. It's great to follow a comic's journey when they've not been on the circuit for long (Hutchinson has been doing stand up for 5 years, having done his first gig at The Dog & Parrot in Newcastle).

The first act of the night was Anth Young, a comic I hadn't seen before. His set was only short, but he got in a lot of laughs. You could tell the audience were up for a good night, which must make the comedian's job much easier! After Anth Young was Lee Kyle, another North East comic who the audience really seemed to love. Personal favourites from his set were his impressions, or lack thereof, but that's what made them great. Never has an impression of Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic been as good as in a Geordie accent saying the words "howay Winslet help us ya bitch", I think that line will stick with me, and just make me laugh at random points in the future.

Photo from http://www.carlhutchinson.net/photos/
Then came Carl Hutchinson. He's only a young comic, but the room looked pretty much sold out to me, so he's clearly doing something right. He started off by having a chat with the crowd, an array of birthday-based hilarity ensued, it's those unplanned moments in live comedy that I love so much. The ridiculous amount of people knocking glasses over last night was another instance of this! Carl is certainly not one for sticking to a "script", he often begins telling a story, tells another in the middle, then returns to the original story. It's all funny, it all works, you never get lost or confused with what he's speaking about. He has you laughing constantly. The show is new so any kinks that have yet to be ironed out are all fine, not that there are many!

If your sort of humour is that of Russell Howard or Chris Ramsey then I think Carl Hutchinson will be right up your street. He's touring all over the place until the Autumn and then he's embarking on Chris Ramsey's 'The Most Dangerous Man On Saturday Morning TV' tour as his support, which is sure to be a great night!

Have a watch of a clip from Carl's last tour, 'All The Rage', and if you like what you see, all his tour dates can be found here


0 Kommentarer:

Post a Comment